Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wow it's been a while...

....since I blogged! Where has the time gone? What the heck have I been doing anyway?

One thing that's taking up a lot of time and brain power this month is trying to diet/eat more healthy. Every time I get my period I decide, heck, I'm still not pregnant, might as well try to lose some weight! But this month I got serious about it.

Liv & I had just been talking about how we wanted to do some kind of cleanse, detox diet when I happened to be flipping through Glamour magazine and came across a "healthy detox plan" which follows up with a 12 week diet plan... anyway! We decided to give it a go and we both lost like 5 lbs the first week which was exciting - and made the week of no soda horrible-ness worth it.

So the first week was intense and difficult and now I'm trying to figure out how to maintain this whole "healthy eating" thing... low carbs, whole grains, tons of veggies.... the diet plan gave lots of great recipe suggestions - go see Liv's blog, obviously I am not a real blogger and will probably never get to posting about these! Maybe one day! And she also is good at creating her own variations of this healthy eating stuff. My favorite so far has definitely been the Turkey Chili!

Me on the other hand.... I spend hours staring at the recipes, making grocery lists, walking up and down the aisles looking for things like "wheat bran", and trying to figure out what to eat each day taking into account I don't want all these mounds of vegetables, berries, and lettuce to go bad.... this is seriously slowing my brain down. I just need to make a plan for a week at a time and stick to it. I say this, and I even do it to an extent but it's still not perfected. I'm working on it.

Also eating up time is spending time at the gym - I go with Liv and our kids go to the daycare together and never want to leave when we come back to get them so that helps me feel better about leaving him there! We've really stepped it up the last couple weeks with our weight training and cardio.... feeling sore.... I kind of love lifting weights. Liv loves cardio. We try to balance each other out.

I've also been doing a lot of reading. This means I'm not on my computer as often, hence, less blogging.... I just finished the Time Travelers Wife and before that Angela's Ashes.... I like reading but I have a problem where I feel like I need to read all the time till I'm done with the book! I have a hard time putting it down to do other things.... it's like a marathon to the finish! So I go through phases of reading a lot and not reading at all so I can get other things done. I've got Peeps on my "to read" shelf next to my bed, one Liv reccommended to me a long time ago, but it's a YA book so a faster and easier read so maybe I can multi-task? Maybe?

Been doing a lot of trading kids with Olivia and my neighbor too.... it's so great to spend a couple of hours with the kids at my house and then another day get a couple hours to myself to run errands ALONE! Today I got to walk around the mall for 2 hours trying to spend my birthday money... it was wonderful. And we are going to start doing more Preschool activities during this time we trade which is fun! Liv did some awesome stuff today with the kids - I'm sure she'll blog about it! :)

Oh, and did you notice I can't describe one aspect of my life right now without talking about Olivia. Oh wait, that's because we pretty much talk every day if not hang out every day. Yeah, she's that cool. Just sayin....

Another big thing in my life is my calling in the Primary in our branch. I love the people I work with and the kids are so great and there's always more I could be doing there so it's always on my mind...

I went to MD for Valentine's Day weekend for my sister Vanessa's wedding - welcome to the family, Matt! They are perfect for each other. So happy for them!




WOW this is a really long post! I'll do a separate one for what Robby's been up to lately and his funny little things.... that's the good stuff anyway! I just figured since I'm not keeping any journal really right now I might as well make some notes about what I've been doing too!

A TTC update for those interested - ha, if anyone made it this far into this post! I spent 6 months doing the Eager study and it was nice to have someone to talk to about this but my study nurse was no fertility expert. They only keep you in for 6 months if you don't get pregnant. It'll be a year next month since my miscarriage and I can't believe I'm not pregnant yet. So far this is the longest it's taken me to get pregnant (first time 7 cycles, 2nd time 9 cycles, now I'm on cycle 12....).

While this is definitely a trial in my life I'm grateful for the chance it's given me to learn and become somewhat of an expert on this subject! Obviously I'm no real expert or I'd be able to get myself knocked up, right? But I have had the chance to learn so much during this process and I absolutely love getting random phone calls from people who have some TTC question or miscarriage question... it brings me joy.

I'm talking with my doctor and figuring out where to go from here... I know I ovulate, I know my body CAN get pregnant - it's done it twice now - so there are a few things we can look at and try. It's emotionally draining and we're not rushing into any treatments of any kind... we'll see what happens! I know Robby really needs a little brother or sister to play with and I hope it happens soon!

Thanks everyone for your support and concern! I have felt so supported through all of this and like I said really feel like I've been able to find the positives in my situation and try to focus on that.

You deserve a big pat on the back if you actually read this whole thing! ;) With hardly any pictures too! How dare I? And now we see one more reason why I don't blog - because I can't do it without talking entirely too much! And now I'll stop.

7 comments:

Warburtons said...

It is nice to hear what you have been up too. I know the eating healthy thing can be so hard- We are still trying to figure it out too.

Olivia Carter said...

Hooray for the epic post! I'm so glad we have each other for dieting, exercising, babysitting, and all around support! I appreciate ya! Don't know what I'd do without a partner!

Amanda and William said...

Please post more like this all the time. We love it. All of it. Feels so far from you and miss you.

Cindy said...

Nice to hear what you've been up too! congrats on the dieting, and NO SODA! Oh I envy you! I stopped drinking it for about 3 months. I got sick and then just didn't crave it anymore. It was easy! Then I started running with a girl in my ward. We get up at 5:15. I needed the caffeine! Now it's hard to think about giving it up. Loosing 5 pounds in a week!! That's great!! I started running a gained 5 pounds! That's not great! I'm glad you and Liv have each other to help each other out! That's great! I really do wish I could get in on the fun stuff (have I mentioned that before?)

Cindy said...

(I had to do another post because I ran out of room), Anyway, I hope you can get pregnant soon! I really do! You are an amazing mother and you deserve it! I'm praying for you! I know it will happen! Lots of love!

kaitlin said...

loved the long post.
loveee all of your good goals that you have and that you are actually doing them! you are so great! i think that's awesome, i'll have to copy some of those recipes you guys use. i'm awful at eating healthy.

RS said...

Great post! Goof to hear about all that is going on. It really motivates me to do some of the same things. I've been trying to concentrate lately on feeding Will healthy-ish meals, but then I pretty much eat like cookies and donuts for breakfast while Will has yogurt and bananas. Yikes! I need to apply it to myself too! Good job on the exercise! And I didn't know what the TTC was about, I hadn't heard about it before, but I'm hoping for you guys to get your baby. It's so puzzling to wonder why things are happening the way they are. But I love your posts, you've got your head on straight Esther! You're totally rocking this mom thing!! :) And will always come back to your blog for ideas and inspiration! -Katie S