Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Trying not to think about it...

I think I've been missing the "therapy" that is writing about what I'm going through...

In other words - SKIP THIS POST if you don't want to hear about trying to get pregnant and all that jazz...

So we did the one cycle of IUI (insemination) and that failed. The day we did the IUI they said the sample we had brought in looked low - low count and low motility... we did the IUI anyway but they suggested we do a full SA the next week. It was stressful waiting those 2 weeks, waiting to find out if the IUI worked, waiting to get the results from Rob's test.

At first I thought I was pregnant because my chest was really sore and then I looked into it and that is one of the main side effects of progesterone which I was taking. Then my temps started to go down and I just had that sinking feeling that I knew my period was going to come. Combine that with then getting the results of Rob's test, over the phone, delivered by a not so smart nurse who said, "Uh, yeah, the count was 5 million so.... um... it looks like the recommendation for you now is to do Invitro with ICSI. Does that sound right?"

I wanted to scream, or cry, and I was just shocked. We went from thinking we'd be spending like $800/cycle to $11,000/cycle for IVF w/ICSI. NO that did NOT "sound right." I was so mad. Flustered. Upset. I got off the phone quickly and just cried.

So basically the result from the SA showed counts so low they recommended not only Invitro which is super expensive but ICSI as well. ICSI is an acronym for intracytoplasmic sperm injection - which is a fancy way of saying "inject sperm in the middle of the egg". This process adds a couple grand to the cost of Invitro.

Anyway this is just really not an option right now, IVF, so I felt kind of deflated. I eventually made an apt to go in for another consultation with Dr. Slater to talk about my options. She walked me through the process of invitro and ICSI and the success rates with that. She also said we could still try IUI which is obviously much cheaper but the chances would be less. We could try taking multiple samples of sperm and combining them and doing IUI like that which might be a good option...

We decided to do a blood test for Rob to make sure his hormones and all that were fine. We were a little concerned because when we had him tested in 2006 when we were trying for Robby his SA came back with great results! It is interesting and helpful to know that apparently that can change over time!! So even if your DH had good levels at one point, there's a chance there could still be a male factor problem.

Rob's blood test came back fine, all normal. Oh yeah, she said if it was because of "stress" then his FSH levels would be low but they were normal. Now we are just trying to figure out where to go from here. Do we try another cycle of IUI even if the odds aren't great because that's more affordable? Do nothing now and save up money for invitro? Or what about the fact we can't even really afford everything we've done so far?? Minor detail.

It's a super busy time for Rob at work so we are trying to just put this on pause right now.

Meanwhile, I apparently am having hysterical pregnancies each month where I randomly feel so sure that I'm pregnant. No really. I've taken 2 pregnancy tests MID CYCLE just because oh my tummy looks so big, or my chest is so sore, or oh this random thing and then I can't get the thought OUT OF MY HEAD. It's like a stupid obsession. I hate it! I don't WANT to think I'm pregnant when I'm not! I don't want to think about but the thoughts just keep coming. It's so annoying.

You want to know something else that is hard? There are SO many random things that other people do right before they got pregnant that are things that you think, oh we should try that but there are SO MANY different things and obviously none of them actually are proven they are more like coincidences and it's just SO HARD to want to do all that you can to improve your chances but I'm already making Rob and I choke down a handful of multi-vitamins and supplements each night and it's just hard to know what else, if anything, we should try. HARD.

Even though this is a trial and even though it's hard I do know that we have so much to be grateful for. I don't need people to tell me it's part of Heavenly Father's plan because I already believe that with all my heart. I just also know He wants us to try our hardest and do all in our power to work for the things we want before He does His part and I feel this is me doing that.

I am happy, I have a great life, the most amazing little boy, wonderful husband...


18 comments:

Dink said...

What a great perspective you have!! Keep up all the positive thoughts, it can't hurt can it??!! I know you guys will be able to get it all figured out even if it isn't right this minute. CAll if you need to talk!!!

Megan and Mike said...

esther i have no clue what your going through... and it has to be hard. good for you for trying everything you can!!!!its just seems unfair sometimes when people get pregnant that are in bad situation... and then you have a husband a wife a lil boy that want a baby and they cant. ugh.

Olivia Carter said...

You are such a great blogger. Thanks for sharing your story with people. Now anyone I know having similar -ish problems I can just send them your way.

Dave to Claire said...

Esther,
Thank you so much for sharing and posting. It's so good read and is comforting to me. I'm not even going through a small portion of what you are, but David and I have been trying unsuccessfully for 6 months and it's just so hard. I know a tiny bit how you feel to be so hopeful all the time and then just end with disappointment. My thoughts and prayers and with you. Love you, Claire

Warburtons said...

You are an amazing example. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Shantell Bullock said...

Thanks for sharing.. Hope everything works out for you guys. You're in my prayers! We've been off birth control going on 19 months now, and it does get hard, but it is comforting for us to know as long as we are doing our part, the Lord will do his and is aware of our situation. You're an amazing woman.. I'm here to talk if you need to! :)

Courtney and Tyson said...

I'm so glad you share all this! Thinking you're pregnant when your not is the WORST!!! I don't know about Rob, but Tyson never understood that. It was EVERY cycle almost EVERY day. I felt like the boy who cried wolf. I'm sorry that's such a hard decision! I guess the more people you tell, the more people can pray for you! You'll be in our prayers:)

Erika said...

All I can think to say it...wow, that really sucks!! I am so sorry Esther. I will pray for you often. I hope you know that I am super impressed with how you are dealing with this. I know that you will be blessed for your faith. Love you! Super Big Hugs!

Rosie and Derek said...

I'm so sorry, I know it's a really crappy thing to have to go through! I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope you will eventually get your miracle like we had ours-- hopefully sooner than later!

Betsy said...

Esther, I truly so sorry. I can't imagine how hard that would be, all I can say is sorry.
I have a sister who had two kids and then wasn't able to get pregnant again (its been 8 years), the past 6 months she decided to try to go the natural route. She goes to a natural doctor that says he can get her pregnant. It hasn't happened yet but we'll see. Hes focused on getting all her hormones and different levels right with how she eats, exercises, and vitamins.
Sorry if this isn't helpful or not what you wanted to her but I thought I would let you know. Good luck!!

Aubrey said...

Esther, I love you. :) You are amazing.

MoJo said...

Esther, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Waiting is always the hardest part! I know what you mean about thinking you're pregnant when you're not. I did that all the time...even when I knew I had the iud and I didn't even have periods. Thanks for sharing. I have been trying to keep up with your blog, hoping to see some good news. Love you!

Anonymous said...

its stuff like this that confirms my belief that God is obviously not a woman. hang in there cuz:)

The Romney Family said...

Esther--won't go into how sad we are for you guys (hopefully you already know that), but I wanted to let you know how awesome I think it is that you are so open and willing to share your experiences. I've directed several friends to your blog who are experiencing similar frustrations, just so they can benefit from your wisdom and also just to hear stories from someone who knows what they're going through. I hope it's ok, I actually just gave your blog address to a friend who used to be in the 200th ward and now lives in Arizona. She is actually pregnant right now and interested in natural childbirth, and I thought maybe she could talk to you about some things since she was really interested in everything I did, and I feel like you're the one who really helped me figure out what I wanted for my births. Her name is Brittany, and she and her husband actually struggled with fertility issues for several years. They've been trying to get pregnant for their entire marriage and are just now expecting their first (a little boy). So anyway, I thought she would really appreciate being able to talk to someone who could not only understand her journey to get where she is now, but also hopefully offer advice on where to go at this point.

I hope you had a fabulous weekend getaway--you deserve it. We missed you, though! (And you missed some pretty sweet rodeo fun with "Cowboy Rob"! ha)

Theresa Beeson said...

Esther,
I miss you! I totally understand this blog! It is truly a strengthening trial! I am totally just enjoying being with my boy because I don't know that we'll be able to have another one. It's just not happening. Keep in touch!
Love,
Theresa Beeson

Sariah Stokes said...

Esther-
I dont know you very well (we have mutual friends). I do understand what your going through :( My husband and i tried to get pregnant for 4 years and went through all the injections and iui's that you are. Reading these, my heart goes out to you and your family. We have been blessed with our little girl and i am so thankful for her. You are in my thoughts and prayers!!

Dayna said...

Esther, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I'm so sorry for all that you've been going through. I know I could tell you to "be positive" and "hang in there" but I know that when I'm struggling with something I just want people to understand how SUCKY it is. So here's me telling you "I'm sorry, that seriously sucks!" It must be so frustrating to have to do all these different and expensive things that have no guarantee of working only to get your hopes up and then dashed- not to mention then dealing with a lot of annoying nurses and people along the way. I am so sorry. It all sounds miserable. I hope you know that Heavenly Father wants you to have children (a lot of them!!) and I think its amazing and wonderful that you are putting in the hardcore effort and work to do just that. Of course what you are going through is a trial, and one you will ultimately learn and grow from, but part of being on earth is dealing with frustrations and challenges that naturally come our way and you are going to be so blessed for dealing with it the way you have been. I seriously believe that you are going to be holding many more babies of your own down the road. As much as it sucks so bad right now I hope knowing all that can bring some sort of peace through such a hard time right now. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family!!! Thanks for posting your thoughts, I know your an inspiration for a lot of others who read your blog (including me!). You really are amazing!

Sarah said...

:( Let me know if there's ever anything I can do. I throw a great pity party if you wanna vent. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. Good luck.