Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hobble Creek

Rob has been wanting to go camping for a very long time and while I said sure I'd go I wasn't helping pin down a date by any means! So when Will & Amanda said they wanted to go with us before they left town this weekend we got in gear pretty fast!

Luckily Utah has lots of camping places nearby! Lots of them are still closed until Memorial Day though - I figured out why when midnight rolled around and our firewood ran out and it was FREEZING! We went up Hobble Creek Canyon to Cherry Campground.



Rob eventually wants to go on a camping trip where you actually have to hike in, stay for more than one night, and be miles from civilization and other people.... I'm more into things like.... toliets. ;) And those who know me know I don't really love doing outdoorsy things and my only previous camping experience was an overnight hike for Girls Camp about 12 years ago...

So we comprised by going to a campsite that has toliets and running water (just a water pump faucet thing) and I got to bring 2 pillows.


First time using our tent... and Will & Amanda had packed their big tent already so they pulled out this mini tent which is not much bigger than Quattro's play tent from Ikea.... but it was so cold that the closer the better I guess!


It was nice to be able to have the car right there to put our food and stuff in. We had a table and a fire pit there.


I was so glad to find some running water!


I asked Amanda to bring some firewood since Rob insisted we just find it there.... so she brought some and then Will & Rob grabbed a bunch from the woods - you can use whatever you can find - and then had to chop it up!



We were right next to the creek which was beautiful!


The water was so beautiful Will decided to fall in! Robby was so sad I wouldn't let him get in the water!

Then what's a good activity without a good photo shoot???


We took about a million pictures of Robby!


He insists on putting his BYU jersey on all the time - the key is hiding it so he doesn't see it then he won't think about it. He found it in the laundry basket this time...


We made hot dogs and smores and also had fruit salad and macaroni salad.... We actually ate just before we went up so that we wouldn't be all cranky and hungry when we were waiting for the fire and to get all set up... it worked out perfectly!


Robby got to stay up so late - he didn't want to miss out on the party! I was actually shocked he fell asleep in the tent by himself! I spent most of the night trying to make sure he didn't freeze to death as he constantly rolled around out of his covers... and then as soon as the sun was up he woke up and was so excited to be next to mom and dad he just started playing immediately! So not the most "restful" trip but still really fun.


Thanks to the boy scout who took our group shot!


Thanks for going camping with us, Will & Amanda! We are sure going to miss you while you're in New York this summer. :(

8 comments:

stephanie said...

Good job, Es! I've actually camped at that campsite. I miss camping in Utah so so much. Camping in Washington usually involves a risk of rain, so I can't sleep outside or with the rainfly off - and I love being able to wake up seeing the trees from the roof of a tent.

Little Robby sure is looking handsome lately. He's looking like a little boy rather than a toddler.

ERK, MRK, & GRK said...

What a fun little trip, it's super beautiful and green too!

Cami Walker said...

Hey girl! It is good to see you and your family are doing well. Your son is so cute!

Cindy said...

Looks like SO much fun! I LOVE camping and I'm dying to go... I probably won't for awhile though (boo). You guys look so cute... Robby is just so big!!

Andrea Lee said...

that actually looks like a ton of fun. too bad it was cold at night. i'm thinking i want to go camping this summer!

Olivia Carter said...

Oh gosh! That looks like so much fun. We had a hard time last time we went camping- lack of sleep for the same reason (trying to keep them in the covers & not freezing to death).

We should go camping together with a lil' group. And definitely at a campsite!

Becky said...

and we all know that our girls camp wasn't exactly the "real" camp experience. yes running water, catered food, pool, showers, the works. im with you on this one. love camping, but im definitely a "lets park it right dab in the center of everyone at the campground and make sure to be next to a bathroom with plumbing." looks like you guys had a blast. got me excited for our camping trip this summer.

RS said...

Oh man, we have a camping trip planned in a month (Will's first camping trip) and I'm nervous!