Friday, May 22, 2009

Robby's 2 year check up

I haven't had a chance to write about Robby's 2 year check up since all the craziness of my life the last month.... We went for his apt a few weeks after he turned 2 because we were going to combine it with my next apt for my pregnancy. It worked out that it was just when I was starting to complete my miscarriage so the timing worked well, just not the way I'd originally anticipated!

At our last visit I remember Robby got a little nervous when she tried to look in his mouth and I thought I'd try and prepare him better for this visit. We printed off these cute Blues Clues doctor visit pages and colored them and talked about the different things Dr. Savage would look at. "Is she going to look in your ears like this?" We practiced with the tools in his play doctor's kit and we especially practiced opening his mouth nice and big for the doctor which he got pretty good at. Most important I really talked up Dr. Savage and how she was so nice, and how she was there when he was born (he's really into pointing out the hospital as we drive home and he says, "me born there!"), and she's our friend....

So the preparation really paid off! We walked into the office and Robby threw his arms up in the air (go BYU style) and shouted, "Dr. Savage!!!" Like, hurray! We made it! :) It was so funny. The other 2 people in the waiting room looked pretty confused but that's ok. We talked to the receptionist and I pointed out the nurses and just acted like it was the most exciting thing in the world! We were playing a little catch with his football when Dr. Savage came into our exam room and Robby immediately started throwing the ball to her and acted so comfortable with her instead of being shy like he often can be. He let her examine him and opened his mouth so big she didn't need to use the tongue depressor... I was really proud of him! He did have one shot, which I had warned him would hurt but only for a minute, and he cried for a second after until the nurse brought him a jar of laffy taffy's to chose from! Then he was all about it!

He just acted like such a big boy! I was so proud of him!



And for journaling purposes here's his stats...

weight 28 lbs 6 oz - 50th percentile
length 35 in - 70th percentile
head 48 cm - 25th percentile

I still think it's hilarious that regularly people will be like, "he's 2?! He's a BIG boy!" or "how old is he? Oh, he's pretty small, huh?" Really, it's quite humorous how people perceive children's sizes so differently. He's definitely 100 percent normal. :)

So some other thoughts about Robby being 2.... we switched to a toothpaste with a little bit of flouride so we're working on mastering "brush, rinse, spit." He's pretty good at it so far! I think the thought of him swallowing flouride freaks me out a little!

The little paper they gave me talked about looking for potty training readiness.... it's weird cause he's gone on a potty randomly for about a year.... he used to go a couple times a day and then he slowed way down... I've never tried "potty training" him I just got the little potty seat so he could try it if he wanted to and never pushed it. I just wonder when he'll get to the point where he'll be fully ready to potty train.... as long as it's before the next baby is born I think would be great! Which at the rate we're going we'll have PLENTY of time before that happens! :/

The safety section on the handout reminded me that I have a little boy who is just testing out the world right now! Lately his daringness in the pool has increased and he's jumping into the water and swallowing a ton and spitting it out and gasping for air... and then doing it again 2 seconds later.... ah! And he loves jumping off furniture... like tables. He always has all these "banana bruises" (his legs look like a banana with little bruises all up and down them!) from his stunts. Just tonight when we were getting him ready for bed he bashed his forhead into his dresser and had a bump that looked like a grape popping out.... yikes!

I have a bunch more Quattro stories and quotes I want to blog but I'll save them for another post... get excited! ;)

4 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oh that Quatrro. I sure like him!

I'll totally going to take you up on the advice for the doc visits. Syd HATES the doc. We tried to tell her Grandpas a doctor- since she'll let him look at her eyes & stuff. But she's not convinced.

And you have inspired me to do better about getting Syd & Rob to brush with real toothpaste. It totally freaks me out to swallow too, but I need to get over it & switch to the good stuff.

Dayna said...

What a clever idea to get him to be comfortable going to the doc!! That is so cute. I'll have to remember that one. I can't believe he is already two years old! Time goes by so fast.

The Romney Family said...

That's so smart, Es--the whole doctor prep thing, I mean. You have the best ideas! I'll definitely have to remember that one. And I totally hear you on the whole "He's so big/small" thing. It's HILARIOUS. "Oh, she's getting SO big!" "Oh, wow, she's teeny." It doesn't happen quite as much anymore because Kate really is pretty small and skinny, she doesn't really have much chub, but from months 1-3 or 4, wow, it was just constant. Kind of funny...

Cindy said...

Robby is SO dang cute! I LOVE that new picture on your header! Adorable!!