Monday, October 12, 2009

The truth about preschool

So a lot of people have been so nice and complimented me on my "creativity" and I need to come clean - I am NOT creative. Not really....

What I am good at doing is looking up lots of books and finding resources to get ideas from.... so I'm a good copycat?? I don't know...

My point is it's not hard to do what I do cause I don't make it up myself and you can do it too!!

So... for preschool.... here are some books I read/bought/am using:


This isn't like a checklist of all the things you need to teach your child - it's a collection of poems, stories, works of art, songs, history lessons.... so it's a great resource! This is a great series and I will be buying them as Robby continues to grow. I also would like to purchase this activity book that goes along with this book but I'll wait till he's a little older - only so many books I can buy at one time!


One book that helped me learn more about what other preschools are like is Preschool for Parents. A good read if you are thinking of sending your child to preschool because it shows you what to look for in a good one - as well as give you ideas for how to do one at home. :)


This is a good one to get ideas from...

but ultimately I purchased and we are using this one:

I really love this one! Obviously since our kids are on the younger side of "preschool" we just look at the activities and suggestions and adapt it to what our kids can do and some things they get into and some don't so we keep moving on.

And I will do another plug for Tot School. So many great ideas and you can start when your child is super young - it's all just about playing with your kid but I just would never have thought up some of the games or activities that I found on the site! So check it out and get some fun ideas to PLAY with your kid!

Another thing I'm reading... about educating your child in general... is The Well Trained Mind.


And what book I'm reading right now to try to be a better mommy/family is this one.


And I'm still trying to finish this.

8 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

You just need to listen to the Harry Potters. It's TOTALLY not cheating!

I remember by senior year English teacher said she listened to all her books- she didn't call it cheating. I kind of thought it was until I married Scott- now I can clean & "read" at the same time!

Now, I call it BRILLIANT!

Carolyn said...

Great resources. I have the 'everyday parents' book and have yet to crack it open. Sometimes you just forget what's on your shelf.
So do plan on home-schooling grade school too?

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing Es! I'm totally jealous of you two and all the fun you are having together with your kids! I need to do something like this with Jack, but it's just no fun on your own. I'll have to look up some of these books! You are great!!

Smithy said...

wah i want a baby so i can join in on the fun! but i'm glad you ladies went first so i have some great examples to follow

Rebecca said...

Loved the post and the fun book recommendations. You do so many fun things with Robby. Way to go!

Dayna said...

how you manage to read ALL THOSE BOOKS while taking care of robbie/teaching preschool/doing fun things amazes me. where do you find time in the day? i need to get some of these books for sure.

RS said...

Thanks for sharing. I'll come back to this list when Will gets just a little older. Or maybe I better start reading now. Thanks for the suggestions! It's nice to have someone point me in a good direction. -Katie S

Sarah said...

These look great, Ill have to check them out. We also use something called slow and steady get me ready with weekly activities from birth to preschool that are devlopementally appropriate that we love.