Friday, June 03, 2011

baby steps...

Tonight Robby is off with his daddy on his FIRST fathers & sons camp out! He was so excited! I can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow! Hopefully they'll take some pictures!



So you guys have all been so wonderful and supportive and I wanted to give you an update...

READ: SKIP IF NOT INTERESTED IN MORE TTC (trying to conceive) UPDATES!

Well, it's been almost a year exactly since our last step in this process... and since then I've been "trying not to think about it." You know, "relax" as the "experts" say. ;) I'm so grateful we've been happy and able to really enjoy life and the one amazing child we have even while we've continued to hope and pray every single day for another baby.

Now we're taking another step...

We are starting our first try of IVF w/ICSI. We've thought a lot about it over the last year and have decided now's the time to try it and we're able to borrow some money to pay for it and get help from family. We've started the process and the actual invitro will happen the end of June, and then we'll find out if it worked 10 days later so July 5-10 ish.

The timing will all depend on how my body reacts to the medications they'll have me on and then how fast the embryos are ready to be put back in... the doctor recommends we transfer 1-2 embryos - he said he wouldn't put 3 in unless I was much older and the egg quality was poor and he'd put just 1 if we were really opposed to twins but I think if we could get 2 babies for the price of 1 in this case it'd be great. Robby's been praying for 2 babies for the last year so maybe I'll get pregnant with twins and he'll get his wish!

It's a pretty intense process, lots of injections and medications for me and some for Rob and lots of doctor's apts and time it'll take but we feel like this is the right thing for us to do right now. I would be due middle-end of March so just before Robby turns 5! I don't feel any kind of guarantee going into this but according to the doctor we talked to we have about an 80% chance of it working.

If it doesn't work - we will probably have embryos left over that we will be able to freeze and a frozen cycle will be about $3000 as opposed to a fresh cycle like we're doing that's $11,000. So a much more affordable option and we'd try that again probably pretty soon after if we can.

We are also doing acupuncture in conjunction with IVF. There are studies that show doing acupuncture with IVF has higher success rates. Trying to increase our chances as best as we can!

I'm kind of torn between wanting to write down every little detail and wanting to just wait and see what happens and then tell you all... maybe it's time for me to start an actual journal so the whole wide world doesn't have to read my personal stuff! But for some reason it helps... sharing it with people... putting it out there for someone to find if they're in the same situation or wondering how this all works! We'll see.

It's a weird thing - wanting to be excited, trying to be hopeful, and trying to stay realistic. It's a weird mix of emotions. But I'm definitely happy to be doing something more to try to have another baby! And definitely just saying lots of prayers...

Funny Robby story - today as I was giving myself my morning shot of Lupron (here come some details) Robby asked me, "well, maybe we will get THREE babies since you are getting so many shots!" I kind of laughed and said, "no, honey, we won't get three babies, we might get one baby, maybe two, but not three!" He quickly said, "I'm gonna say a prayer!" He ran to his room, knelt by his bed and prayed, "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the day, please bless that mommy will have three babies. Please bless mommy will be stronger than all the other mommies. Name of Jesus Christ, Amen." He's hilarious...


11 comments:

Warburtons said...

I just want you to know I am thinking and praying for you. I know Heavenly Father has a plan and whatever it is for your family will be wonderful. I do hope you get your wish!!! You are wonderful! Miss you!

Shauna said...

I hope it works for you! You guys are the best parents - you deserve another baby! My thoughts and prayers are with you. And just so you know, a lady in my ward had two put in and one of them split, so they ended up with three babies. But I'm sure that is very rare!

Katie S said...

I'm glad you decided to share that we all have a chance to pray for you! I'm excited for you!

Olivia Carter said...

You rock, lady.
That is all.

Yvonne said...

What if one of the eggs split - then couldn't you technically have 3 babies (1 set of identical twins + 1)? Maybe Robby will get his wish! Oi!
Good luck Esther! I'm praying for you that it will work!

Brian and Janean Lulloff said...

Good Luck Esther! We are praying for you!

Cindy said...

Oh Es!! Good luck!! I hope it all works out on the first try for you!! I wish I could be there with you! You have such a sweet little Robbie! You are teaching him to have so much faith in prayer at such an early age! What a great example to me you are! Love you!

Smithy said...

love the updates and excited for this next stage!

MoJo said...

Oh man, I am a firm believer in children's prayers working even better than adult prayers. Bless your heart if you have 3 babies! My sis 'n law had 3 and all I can say is bless your heart. lol Well I hope so much with all my heart that it works for you. I love that you share this info. I've been rooting for you all and praying for you all! Good luck!

Malea said...

I love you, Esther. You are an amazing mom and you will be an amazing mom of two, or three or four! We pray for you always and *maybe* we will have a baby just a few months after you! It would be SO fun to be prego with you!

Bekah said...

I am excited for you Esther. I'm not sure who you are going through there, but my friend did IVF with ICIS in the Utah/Provo area and she was told she had about a 20% chance to conceive and she did, on the first cycle. It was an amazing miracle and I truly hope you the one or two you want. I know how hard it is to want a baby and not be able to get pregnant and I'm sure it's hard to have your son wanting a sibling so badly. So I will say some prayers for you and wait for the results in a a few weeks!