Sunday, August 23, 2009

Robby swimming!

My baby is swimming! SWIMMING! I have to go back and give credit to Liv's sister in law, Kristal, who gave the kids their fast taste of a swim lesson earlier in the summer! She helped them get more comfortable putting their heads under water, helped us moms get more comfortable with watching them put their heads under water... seriously, after that one afternoon Robby has been able to play in the kiddie pool w/o arm floaties and holds his breath under water for a long time... just super comfortable in the water!

So just the last few days we were practicing him jumping in the water w/o his life jacket! He said, "don't catch me mommy!!" It took me a little bit to be comfortable with that but I let him jump in and to my surprise he came paddling back up to the surface very quickly! Ah! Then I was pushing him towards the stairs and he'd float/swim a few feet.

Yesterday we went out to the pool after his nap and Rob met us there after he got home from work. He helped Robby get even MORE comfortable swimming - he would jump in and then swim, by himself!, all the way halfway across the pool to the ladder! We showed him how to swim to the wall and grab onto it, and then walk along the wall with his hands... He had so much fun! He was opening his eyes under water and swimming like a little fish! If he would just stay more on his belly he could swim even better but he kind of goes vertical after the first few seconds, making it harder for him to keep moving... but we'll keep practicing! I'm going to have to join an indoor pool for the fall/winter!

Ok, so see for yourself! This isn't his farthest stretch but you get the picture!

4 comments:

Tara said...

That's amazing! Good work Robby. Darci and I should have joined you this summer.

Olivia Carter said...

Wow- that is amazing! We need to come and work on that at the pool before summers gone, eh? And I like the indoor pool idea!

Oh and I like the blog restructuring- so cute!

Cindy said...

I am SO impressed! Really!! You'll have to check my blog now. Jack is doing pretty good too but he's not as brave as Robby! He won't jump in from the side, only from the steps. He doesn't have the dare-devil nature like Robby does. I wish we could come swimming with you guys!! And I agree, I will be sad when summer is over... I LOVE summer and swimming, and sun bathing, and such.....

Amanda and William said...

YAYAYAYAYAYYAYYYYY!! I love this video! Great job Robby!!!! We love you!