Saturday, November 10, 2007

Homemade baby food....

...seems to taste just as good as Gerber! And is probably much better for baby!

So, I bought some yams like a week ago and have just been looking at them.... kind of intimidated by them... I'm not much of a cook, and these yams didn't look like anything I'd ever seen before, so figuring out how to turn them into baby food seemed like it would be hard... but it was NOT! It was EASY!

A few people I know have made their own baby food, like Kyrsten, and many people have directed me to this site: Wholesome Baby Food. It makes it all sound so simple so I figured even I could try it!

Lindsay gave me that last bit of encouragement I needed when she brought over some food that she made for baby Robby - peaches and broccoli! Yeah!

So I bit the bullet and cooked the dang yams.... here they are after I washed them, getting ready to go in the oven.... don't they look kind of weird?

Once they were baked I peeled them and cut them up into little chunks.


Then Robby blended them in the Bosch.... just added a little water to make them a better consistency.

We put them in Gerber containers and yogurt containers that I'd been saving up.

I stuck most of them in the freezer but tested it out right away and the verdict: A happy Robby! Success!


I'm excited - I think it'll save quite a bit of money and it wasn't hard to do at all! Kind of fun actually!

7 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Woot! I am SO happy for you & how could you not be happy for that smile on lil' Robby's face!

Lobdell family said...

Hey cous.
That is cool you can make that. I've never tried it but maybe I will. Cute pictures. Check out my sight if you like.

Kyrsten said...

The next best thing you can try is buying some cans of UNSALTED veggies (peas, corn, green beans) & blending those with some of the liquid in the can! Wahla! It's sooo easy, and my new alternative. It gives those lil' bodies a little more variety.

Sarah Mickalson said...

I made Ryan's baby food when he was little. It was really easy and kind of fun. Now I have too many kids to do it for Lance

MEREDITH said...

How fun, me and my mom made homemade applesauce for Sofie Mae and she loves it... I will have to try the yams... Great idea!

Nancy said...

I think I'm going to try that sometime...once we get into that sort of thing :) Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

what a satisfied customer! :) Robby's got the happiest face!