Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yesss! Daddy's home!

Rob returned yesterday evening from a back packing trip down in Southern Utah to the Paria Canyon. He left Tuesday afternoon so we've been missing daddy for what felt like a really long time!



I'll make Rob do a post on his trip - it was pretty incredible - but let me just tell you a few things about what happened on my end...

First of all, I'm so paranoid I didn't even mention on the blog that he was out of town. Didn't really want to advertise that piece of information. I am paranoid. I usually get so scared at night while Rob's gone - I do NOT do well home alone!

So some of the things I did to feel more "safe" were:

1. Leave almost all the lights in the house on all night long. Seriously.
2. Leave the fan off (I usually leave it on for the white noise) so that I could hear every sound in the house.
3. Crank up the a/c. I'm too scared to leave my feet/body uncovered at night so last time he was gone I just was awake sweating under my covers all night!
4. Not take any naps whatsoever during the day so I'd be so exhausted at night I'd hopefully fall asleep quickly and not wake up too much.
5. Of course lots of prayers!!!

Ahh..... it went MUCH better than other times I've been alone at night.

And if someone had tried to come in they'd be sorry - the last safety item on the list was sleeping with Rob's 9 by the bed, with a round in the chamber. And yes I know how to use it.

Although just considering the situation that would even necessitate a gun freaks me out and therefore the gun doesn't make me feel all the much safer but it was nice to know it was there. I heard Rob's Aunt slept with a butcher knife under her pillow when her husband was gone.... hmm.... stab an intruder to death or hopefully scare someone away from a distance with a loaded gun.... yeah.... anyways!

I'm just so glad he's back and I can go back to waking up to him snoring instead of a suspicious noise in the house! :)

And I'm so glad we cut his hair and beard this morning too! Ugh! Look at the improvement! :)


7 comments:

tara said...

Ha ha, I love this post. I have my little routine when Jer is gone too - it is the only way to do it! Glad that he is back and you are a little less nervous now.

AP said...

i love how happy quattro looks to have rob back :-)

Olivia Carter said...

That picture of the two of them is SO CUTE!

And you totally survived- you were not nearly as crazy as your thought you would be.

And you really need to get him to post- map and all- it's a great story!

Lindsay Jane said...

A) When I'm scared of the dark I do 1, 2, 3 and 5 every time for the same reasons. Glad girls are all the same.

B) Rob looks great with his hair and beard cut - sometimes I forget what he looks like behind all that scariness.

Becky said...

esther you are not paranoid, you are NORMAL! im laughing right now because I totally do the same thing (lights, t.v., gun, etc.). except for one extra thing i do is grab a chair and jam it underneath the doorknob to the front door real tight. oh, also add pepper spray underneath the pillow next to me, and the car keys so i can press ALARM on it just in case and you have yourself one big "becky is home alone" party. glad to hear others do this too!

Cindy said...

Oh Esther that is SOO funny! I can't believe you slept with the gun by your bed!! Although I have to admit that sometimes when I get scared at night I wonder where our gun is and if I would be able to get to it before someone got to me! Ah... crazy..

andrea. said...

you crack me up!! i am SO scared to be home alone too...i usually sleep with all the lights on!