Thursday, August 14, 2008

Discouraged....

I joined Gold's Gym on July 9th. Since then I've worked out about 3 times a week, missing one or two sessions. Mostly just doing about 20 min of cardio while I tried to get Robby used to the day care there. He's been doing much better so we've been working out a little longer and longer... (Liv comes with me).

Monday I weighed myself and bad news bears! I had GAINED 3 lbs! I was so mad.

All this working out, eating broccoli and salad for lunches, drinking less soda, avoiding late night snacks (most of the time).... and gaining weight? Ew.

For the last two weeks we've added Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning to our workout. I don't know why I didn't start with this from the beginning. I did this for a few weeks before my wedding and felt like it really whipped me into shape. I am REALLY hoping that we'll be seeing a difference soon... and maybe actually LOSING some lbs. Or at least some chub. :)

Any great/magical workout tips??? Or healthy eating tips?

ps - if you go to Matt Furey's site let me just warn you - he looks ridiculously low budget and crazy but the program is pretty awesome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't fret, Es. Lots of times "weight" can mean a number of things: water, MUSCLE, even just general fluxuation. Maybe try tracking your progress with a measuring tape or take a body fat percentage test.
Lots of times when people are gaining muscle, you might feel like you're getting bigger and heavier, but keep at it cause after a bit longer as the muscle builds, the fat starts to burn off more easily. :D I remember doing (or tried anyway!)the Matt Furey routines with you...those things are awesome!

The Bobos said...

Hey girl!! I've been having the same problem but don't worry, this is a good thing. You're building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. Pretty soon you'll be losing fat really easily because of the muscle you're gaining. So toss that scale away and start measuring around your tummy and legs. You'll see that you're slimming down fast!

The Thatchers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Thatchers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

Esther, So sorry you feel discouraged, but I HONESTLY think that a lot of time people gain weight when they start working out because of the body's change in the fat/muscle ratio. So don't feel bad...keep at it, I'm sure you'll be happy soon.
PS I'm so proud of you! :) Working out & eating well with a baby is no small feat!!!

AP said...

yea es -- you know i can relate to this pain. MF low budget?! i'm offended ;-) lol.

katd said...

Man, I wish I had advice, but I'm right there with you. I'm just impressed that you're doing so well with Robby in the day care there. That's my biggest issue with going to our gym. Lily does fine; I just hate dropping her off! I swore before we had her that I'd never be "THAT" mom who hated dropping her kid off and made such a big deal. I don't make a big deal in front of her, but I sure do hate it.
Hang in there! You're getting healthier! :)

Malea said...

Es, it totally sucks, but cutting sugar out of my diet has meant I'm down 10 lbs in 2 weeks. Again, it's seriously stressful to even FIND things that don't have sugar in them. Ketchup, bbq sauce, pasta sauce, every cereal except shredded wheat! But, I've never been more proud of myself for actually sticking with it. If you want to do it, I recommend taking weekends off so you don't feel too deprived. Keep up the good work!! You will see results soon. Our trainer at work always says "your body owes you," and eventually you'll see it.

Olivia Carter said...

Yeah, we need to maybe do a bit harder cardio, for a lil' bit longer (now that Robby's been doing better at the babysitting) and now with our "abs of steal" it'll just take time, I guess. I'm totally discouraged too! BOO!