Sunday, September 28, 2008

Camping.... kind of....

My family and I are not outdoorsy people. My mom grew up with 17 kids and basically "camped" for the first 21 years of her life so she wasn't really up for it. At family reunions we'd get a hotel near the campsite and leave for a night of comfortable sleep when the party was winding down.

Rob has been wanting to go camping for a few months now and so we made a compromise. We'd all go up for a bonfire, dinner, and hang out, and then the moms and little kids would leave to sleep at home! We had me, Rob, Quattro; Andrew, Becca, Ty, Robby, Annie; Taba, Ben, Anna, Gwen, and James.

We went up Squaw Peak Road in Provo Canyon to Hope Campground. In only a 20 minute drive from our home we were in a whole other world! Our only wish was that we'd gotten there earlier to enjoy more of the daylight instead of trying to eat our tin foil dinners in the dark! It was great roasting hot dogs and marshmellows and eating Becca's thoughtfully prepared tin foil dinners of meat, potatoes, onions, and carrots!

There was a point in the night where I thought, "maybe I COULD go camping!"

But I still went home to sleep in my bed. We'll save that overnight adventure for another time!

Rob had a great time staying up late with Andrew and Ben sitting around the campfire talking and he can't wait to go again soon.


Can you believe we had 3 PINCOCKs camping?? Taba, Andrew, and I! Proof! Wait, I'm not in that picture, huh? Oh well.... I'm down here....


Quattro loved it! It was a little hard trying to keep him away from the fire... we kept saying, "The fire is so hot! If you touch it, it will hurt!" So at one point he was playing near it and then set down the stick he'd been carrying around to look at the fire and sign "hurt". Then went on his way... so cute!


Love all these dang cousins! They are too cute. This was fun cause it was so out of the norm for all of us. I know we are pathetic... the campsite was really full and as we were driving around looking for a spot we were saying, "wow, people really do this! A lot of people! What are they all doing here?" Just kind of in awe....


This is where the brave men and big kids slept! Thanks Liv for your tent it was awesome!


I guess Rob's mountain man look works in a setting like this, huh?

Well, I'm glad we went and we'll have to do it again sometime!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you guys! We went with darci a month or so ago and had a great time. Jer wants to go again.

Sarah said...

we LOVE camping! you should really give it a try. you can really do it in quite a posh manor...great food, air mattresses + awesome pillow...they have all sors of fun gadgets to make it an enjoyable adventure.

Olivia Carter said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! Glad the tent worked out for you!

Aubrey said...

Hi Esther! Cute blog! I"m so excited to add you so I can keep up with all that's going on in your life. That little Robby is so stinkin' cute!

Tiffany said...

good job busting out! Glad you had a great time.