Friday, September 26, 2008

Yes, I'm awesome!

"Yes, I'm awesome!" (strongbad voice) If you don't know who Strongbad is you need to check out Homestarrunner.com right now!

So, why am I aweosme? Feel free to let me know why YOU think I'm awesome but I'm referring to my dentist appointment last week...

Dentist apt??? Yes. I had a cavity that needed to be filled and I was kind of nervous. (Don't worry, I will get more awesome in a minute - I sound kind of lame right now!) I've only had one other filled before and it hurt really bad and they gave me a couple of novicaine shots and I kept saying, "I can still feel it!!!" So, yes I was nervous.

While the helper girl, what do they call those?, was setting up My Big Fat Greek Wedding for me to watch she asked me, "Would you like laughing gas today?" I was a little more concerned thinking this would be bad enough to necessitate laughing gas but it was going to be an extra $25 so I said I would pass. Her response: "Don't say I didn't warn you!" Ew! Who says that?? Grr.

I had a plan though. I wanted to try to use my hypnobabies techniques (see my birth story) to see if I could reduce the pain I would feel. So I laid back in my chair and shut my eyes and proceeded to "put myself into hypnosis" using my "lightswitch." I flipped it to center so that I could open my eyes and be normal. :)

The dentist came and I confessed my horrible fear of needles and said I was worried about the novicaine shots. He said it was just one little one so if we wanted to we could start cleaning it out and if I changed my mind he could always stop and numb it. Ok. So I focused on my breathing, happy place, the movie, relaxing.... a couple of times he would say, "ok, sorry, ooooo, sorry! Ok... almost done with this part...." And I did not feel ANYTHING except at the very end of him cleaning it out it was a little cold.

Now, I'm not saying I'm ready to go do a root canal using hypnosis but I think this totally helped me during that cavity filling!!!

So I feel awesome.

PS - if you have any questions about hypnobabies feel free to email me! I LOVE to talk about it!


10 comments:

Lindsay Jane said...

Holy cow that's amazing. You really are awesome (so are your arm muscles!). Someday I'm going to learn that hypnobabies stuff...maybe when I have a baby.

Anonymous said...

you are lots of awesome :-)

very cool story.

Olivia Carter said...

You are TOUGH lady! I was SO impressed when you told me & I agree that your arms are hot! NICE...

Sarah said...

You must be from Colorado...love OAR!

Dayna said...

Esther- finally back to this blogging world thing (been mia this summer) and got to stalking your blog again :). It was so fun seeing you at the football game! You are so cute and I can tell from all your posts what a great mommy you are. You really are AWESOME.

PS. Robby is getting so big!!! He is SO SO cute. I hope his cute little feet are okay.

Rebecca said...

I know I already heard about this in person, but it was so much fun to read about! I laughed out loud! You are awesome, and hilarious! I'm so proud of you Esther! SO glad that the whole experience went well!! (except for stupid 'helper lady' comments. Yes, who does say that?!) You are one tough cookie girlfriend! :)

Sarah said...

Hey, i briefly worked with Dayna and then we realized we had mutual friends in ashley marriott, the mcdougals...among many other maryland natives.

The Bobos said...

You are incredibly awesome! I would love to hear more about hypnobabies. Amy was kinda explaining it to me and it sounded really neat.

Anonymous said...

wow Es, you give me so much hope!

Tiffany said...

dang dude, you are awesome! Good work!