Wednesday, September 19, 2007

New High Def Format


So Esther has tried to get me to post for a couple weeks now about anything, but I couldn't think of anything that I thought you guys would care to know about (whoever you guys are anyways--I think everyone here is here because of Esther and not me). So finally she gives me a topic to write about so I have no more excuses. As most of you know, I love movies, high definition, home theater, etc. stuff. Just recently a new twist came up in the HDM (High Def Movies) world. There are two competing formats HD-DVD and Blu-Ray--(think VHS and DVD, except they are both high definition and they both look like DVD's, just better quality, but you need a different player to watch movies on either format) that have been fighting to become the next generation movie format. It's been a tough battle and no one can seem to really pull ahead.

Well now another format has just announced that they are releasing players next month. It's called HD-VMD. It's cheaper than both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and supposedly is at least as good as either of the other two. The big question is whether or not any movie studios will support them. So the HDM World is thrown upside down and we're waiting to see if we need to buy yet another DVD player to play this new high def format!!!

In case you want to know more about which one you should buy I'd love to inform you already--and if you got through that whole post then maybe you really are interested.

8 comments:

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

very cool :-)

Esther Noelle said...

Hurray Robby! And NO, we are NOT buying another DVD player!!! Dang format wars...

I remember getting Lady and the Tramp on Beta for my birthday once... too bad that format didn't do so well.

Olivia Carter said...

I made it through the whole post because it sounds like talking to my husband everyday! Hey, do you remember those huge laser discs? Those things didn't last long either. They were as big as a dinner plate & you had to flip it over mid movie! Oh man, oh man, those were the days!

Rob Parsons said...

Of course I remember Laser Discs. We used them in school even. My cousins, the Seals, got a Laser Disc player when they first came out--I remember seeing them in the video rental store. They were HUGE.

Lindsay Jane said...

I read the whole thing but not because I have a husband that talks about this sort of thing. Wait, I don't have a husband at all. I read it because I think it's nice that Robby posted. Robby, welcome to the blog. You should post more often...but next time you should talk about a cute shirt you spotted online...

Nancy said...

I feel really young...and I'm not even that much younger than y'all. I don't remember BETA or laser discs, although I've seen a BETA tape once.

And I agree with Olivia--it's like talking to my husband, "What do you want for your birthday besides an iPod, iPhone, plasma TV, etc.etc.etc."

If only guys were interested in a cute shirt...

Rob Parsons said...

I don't think I've ever seen a cute shirt. Well--there was one cute shirt for baby Robby--the O.A.R. shirt we got him was so cute!!

stephanie said...

Robby just said, "so cute."

Also, I have no idea what you were talking about in this post and I read the whole thing. My Rob likes this sort of thing too... I wonder if he's figured out that I have no idea what he's talking about either!?