Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Jon & Kate Plus 8


We had quite an eventful trip home from Maryland! It was a very long day... with about 10 hours on the same plane.... but I would do it again if I had the chance! Here's why....

As we were waiting to board our 8:40 am flight from BWI to SLC we noticed a bit of commotion near our gate. A couple camera guys, microphones floating in the air, and several small children...

"Oh my gosh! Robby! Those kids.... I know them! It's Jon & Kate Plus 8!!!"

I recognized the kids before I even spotted Jon or Kate.... in their entourage they had their 8 children, 4 family friends as helpers, and about 4 crew members following their every move. As I posted about earlier I LOVE this show! I think this is the neatest family! It's about a couple who had fertility problems so they did IVF and got twins, wanted one more baby so they did it again and BAM! Sextuplets! So they have 2 six year olds, and 6 three year olds....

And they were even cuter in person than on TV.... I was dying of excitement and tried to not look like a stalker but just watched them in awe! We overheard that they were going to be on our flight - they were headed to Park City to go skiing....

They were the first group on the plane and took up the last 3 rows. I was too shy to try to sit near them and get way too motion sick to choose to sit in the back anyway so sat towards the very front of the plane.

While I was too nervous to even go near them Rob did not have that same problem. As soon as Robby got a little fussy he jumped up and being the very helpful father he is took him for a walk.... to the back of the plane...

Robby flirted with the flight attendants and then caught the eyes of several of the Gosselin kids.... I turned around and watched as the three little boys stood on their seats and waved and laughed at Robby for a good 10 minutes! The camera guy even busted out and started filming the action! (You better believe we will be waiting and hoping for a shot of Robby in an upcoming episode!) Rob got to talk to one of their helper girls for a minute as the kids were playing but didn't say anything about their show....

It was a long flight to SLC but it was exciting knowing they were on the plane with us! Little did we know as we were descending into SLC that the party was just getting started...

"Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain.... unfortunately Salt Lake has just closed their runways due to bad weather so we heading to Boise to land and refuel...... we'll give you an update when we get there..... so it's gonna be another 45 minutes till we land so if you need to get up and stretch please do so now...."

We were literally 10 minutes away from landing! And then back up we headed.... to Boise.

Rob hopped up and took Robby for another little stroll to the back of the plane. As he was heading towards the line for the restroom Kate was trying to pass something across the aisle to Jon - Rob kindly assisted her.... then she asked him, "are you in line?"

"Uh, sort of, not really, I'm just kind of stretching..." Rob said and then he let her go in front of him. Before she went in she said, "Oh well would you like me to hold him for you while you go to the bathroom?"

"Well, sure, if you have an extra hand!" Ha ha.... so yeah, Kate held baby Robby while Rob went to the bathroom. KATE HELD BABY ROBBY!!! Ahh!

We landed. We sat waiting for an update for about an hour and a half.... finally! Some news!

"Ok, well, SLC has reopened their runways so we will be returning there shortly.... we do have one small technical problem..... a heat sensor on the window here needs some work.... so why don't ya'll go get some food and everyone come back in 15 minutes....."

Grrr! I was starving so I jumped up and left Rob and Robby while I went to get us food. MISTAKE.

Apparently the entire plane practically de-boarded.... EXCEPT Rob, Robby, and oh wait, Jon & Kate & gang!!! I guess they sent 2 people from their group to get food and the rest stayed behind with the kids and waited. So guess who got to be all friendly with them? Yup.... Rob said all the kids were just running up and down the aisle and they'd come and say hi to baby Robby.... Jon even came up to Rob and asked, "Hey, my wife wants to know what your baby's name is?"

So I come back from getting food to find out that I totally missed all the action! Rarr! We still had some time before we took off but I was too embarrassed to go back there by myself for no reason really....

Ok so fast forward.... we finally get ready to take off, we're sitting on the runway basically when the captain says SLC has closed their runways again so we wait another 30 min till they let us take off and then it's a 50 min flight there but we actually made it!

We get the airport and it's chaos since so many flights had been delayed due to the weather. The bags for our flight happened to be split between 2 carousels - how the heck does that happen? - and they took forever to get in!

While we were exiting we were walking right past them and I knew it was then or never! I walked right up to Kate and said, "hey, we were on your flight and I just wanted to tell you that I love your show... love watching you guys! Your kids are so cute!"

Kate immediately deflected the attention from herself and said, "Oh you survived that horrible flight too? Ugh, wasn't it awful?"

Then they saw Rob (we had put Robby with Taba in the car since she'd come to pick us up) and recognized him.... "Oh you! Where's your baby? He is so cute!!"

So even though we talked to them for just a minute it was great!

They are such a neat family! If you get a chance you should watch their show! I love seeing how organized she is and how they all interact.... I can't believe they were on our flight! I can't believe I met Jon & Kate Plus 8!

Here's their website with more information and family photos!
http://www.sixgosselins.com/Home.html

22 comments:

Rob Parsons said...

It was pretty fun to see them. I had only seen a couple episodes but we went home and watched another episode that night in honor of meeting them!

Nancy said...

That's so cool, Es!

Rebecca said...

Esther, I've been dying for the udpate. Thanks for all the details. That is just crazy, but so neat!

Mrs. James Quigley said...

So jealous! I love them. That is a huge celebrity sighting!!!!

Olivia Carter said...

I've never heard of this show before but that's WAY cool! That's big news- can't believe I'm hearing about it just now!

MEREDITH said...

Ok so there is your story I am so jealous, I love there show as well... That is really neat...

Lobdell family said...

That is a neat story. I haven't heard of them but I will definatly watch it to see if we can see your boys.

Anonymous said...

you are about the luckiest person ever! i think I've seen almost every episode ever and deeply thinking about going to PA just to see if I can find them :-)

Austin and Ashley Evans said...

I found your blog randomly on google and then felt I needed to leave a comment! :) We LOVE Jon & Kate Plus 8 and I was so jealous to hear that you saw them. I also remember that episode and Kate's stress breakdowns on the plane. I thought this was the best post! Hope you dont mind a random viewer :)

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!! YOU ARE THE LUCKIESSSTT PERSON IN THE WORLD!!! IT IS MY DREAM TO MEET THEM!! OH MY GOOOOODDDNNNESSS I AM SOOOOOOOO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW!!!
CAN YOU EMAIL ME AT JUNGLE.GIRL935@GMAIL.COM AND TELL ME MORE ABOUT WHAT THEY WERE LIKE OR WHATEVER OR HAVE ROB EMAIL ME TO TELL ME ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCE????
thanks,
i am just sooo jealous.. wow.. i love them.. im like their number one fan!!!!!

-tayler

Anonymous said...

Hi my name's Kate and I also LOVE the show!!!! I watch every single episode!!! Were you guys on that episode or no???? That would be sooooo cool if you were.

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Lisa Parsons, I was just wondering if u are related to parsons in balitmore my husband john family is from there.
If u want more info contact me at dpmarydel@aol.com

Rob Parsons said...

My parents are still in Maryland along with several siblings. They live in the Gaithersburg, MD area--I don't know of any Parsons in the Baltimore area, but it's possible. Originally my parents are both from out west so there's no extended family in the MD area.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came upon your site from a google post. I met Jon and Kate too. I went to one of their speaking engagements on August 24, 2008. I got to meet them afterwards. I was SO excited I actually teared up. The kids were not there though so I'm still hoping I will be able to see them some day. You are so lucky. I'm glad I'm not the only Jon & Kate "freak" like my family calls me. I was like a little kid after I met them. My sister was laughing at me.

Jenna Anderson said...

Hey Esther! I found you and came directly to this post to read about it! How fun!! Now we can blog-stalk each other ;) My husband and I love to watch the Gosselins show. She makes me feel blessed... if theycan keep it together with EIGHT kids, I should be able to handle our two!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was googling the Gosselins to find out when they were going to move to Carrboro NC, when I came across your blog post! Reading it was very exciting as I've always dreamt of meeting them in person! I'm sure you were very excited and I would give anything to see those tiny little faces!! I'm so glad they're moving to NC because I live in the triangle and I may be the biggest J&K freak ever! I'm determined to scope them out as soon as they get to NC! Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Anonymous said...

Ok so i love the episode when they go skiing, i did not know about all think choas anyway im so jeaulos you met he kids. Today i met Kate Gosslin and she signed her book and i almost criend, i would have died if the kids were there......well im still jealus but that must have been an adventure.

Anonymous said...

they are not moving to NC, they just moved back to Berks County Pennsylvania where they had the tups, and where they left a very bad taste in everyone's mouths. Do some research on this couple before you profess to love them please.

Just the 4 of us. said...

That had to of been an awesome experience. I was wondering are you guys LDS? I seen the BYU shirts so of coarse it makes me wonder. My family is also LDS. We live in MS.

Jennifer Deutsch said...

To "annonymous" (cowardly) - perhaps all of these people who are their fans have already done the research on them which is why they love them so much. Keep your negativity to yourself. This blog is the blog of a family - not yours.

Anonymous said...

ok get a grip people..what a dysfunctional way to raise a family..she gets her food delivered every day..nannies all over the place...reality tv!! sure!!

jennifer01 said...

Why would anybody say it that way, you can easily get your point across in a polite and courteous way. Lets all just get a long.
==================================
wow gold