Saturday, January 12, 2008

So I'm really mad at the WGA right now




So I'm really mad at the WGA (Writers Guild of America) right now. Tomorrow, January 13, 2008 was supposed to be the premiere of Season 7 of 24. 24 is my favorite TV show and now I have to wait ANOTHER YEAR or more to find out what happens because of this stupid strike. **SPOILER**Jack is on trial, CTU is gone, and supposedly Tony is alive AND a terrorist and I just want to know what happens. **END OF SPOILER**Stupid writers get paid plenty of money and now they just want more. Who doesn't want more money--GET A NEW JOB IF YOU WANT MORE MONEY. Ok--so I admit that I don't know exactly how the writers pay structure is but from what I know about business it should be the people who take on the risk in the venture who gets most of the money.

Now feel free to correct me if you know something about the structure of the writers pay scale that I don't know--but it seems to me that the only writers that feel they need more money are the writers that write crappy shows. The good writers get paid a lot of money and the bad writers don't. Seems fair to me. But the good writers are dragged into this strike just the same because they are members of a union and don't have any choice. Writers should write because they love it. If they did it for the money they should have gotten a different job. I admit that I'm just writing out of anger and resentment and don't really have all the facts--I just want to watch 24 tomorrow. (So maybe the writers are accomplishing exactly what they want because they are getting everyone to want this stupid strike to just be over.)

P.S. See the spoiler for yourself!

2 comments:

Scott said...

Robby-
This is your good friend, Scott Sprague, who can be reached at www.scottandmaran.com
24 is also in my top 3. (It was number one until last year, which was a little lame-o) I was really excited for this season and am also very sad, tearful even, that we cannot see our good friend Jack Bauer do what he does best.
I don't know a whole lot more about this strike than you do, and believe me when I tell you I am angry about missing these shows as well. Try this for the writer's side of the strike -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6hqP0c0_gw
This is getting a little too long for a comment on a blog, but, Maran and I are more than happy to loan you our copies of The Office to help you with your pain.

Lobdell family said...

I love 24. I am getting into the show women's murder club and they just had a serious twist on it. Now they are showing reruns on it aahh!! I agree with you but I think that the people providing money to make the shows/movies are the ones with the deep pockets and they don't want to share.